Following the successful deployment of its first playable alpha build, “Dual Universe” is finally transitioning to a public pre-alpha.
Developer Novaquark describes “Dual Universe” as a “continuous single-shard sandbox sci-fi civilization building MMORPG, in a fully editable voxel universe.” What this means is that the universe is simultaneously occupied by several players who are interacting with the environment. Everything is also fully editable, giving players the freedom to build whatever they want. You can watch its teaser trailer below.
Starting out as a Kickstarter project with a 500,000 euro goal, the game has proceeded to surpass that funding goal and secured over 5.7 million euros in equity. This made “Dual Universe” the 3rd most funded video game project on Kickstarter last year. The previous live alpha session was for 2,500 backers who pledged at the Gold Founder level (100 euros or more) and above.
“Following up our recent global $7.4M mark in fundraising, this public Pre-Alpha milestone is very important to us and our community. Our proprietary CSSC (Continuous Single-Shard Cluster) and voxel engine technologies are now benchmarked for the first time with real players and not just bots,” explained Jean-Christophe Baillie, CEO at Novaquark.
While the crowdfunding is currently paused, Novaquark is planning to bring it back in the near future. This will give newcomers a chance to support the game after its initial fundraising efforts. Check out the game’s features below.
Features (some features will not be in the alpha version)
- Boundless Massively Multiplayer Game: potentially millions of players can share the same universe at the same time. It will be one world without boundaries, zones, or instances.
- Rich emergent gameplay mechanisms enable players to create their own societies.
- Fully editable world: dig, deploy, craft, create and shape almost everything.
- Giant player-made ships and constructions can be inhabited and host large crews.
- Immersive first person view in a futuristic sci-fi universe.
- Realistic in-game economy (based on market orders and financial tools).
- Scriptable constructions (ships, buildings, etc) using LUA: players can build their own AI, piloting systems, or factory automation.